BLOAT OR TYMPANY IN CATTLE :
BLOAT OR TYMPANY IN CATTLE DEFINATION =Accumulation of gas in rumen or reticulum which is characterized by reduced feed intake decreased milk production , laboured breathing, discomfort,and death of animal .
ETIOLOGY /CAUSES = tympany is of two types =
1) primary tympany = if the tympany is due to intake of leguminouse plants such as berseem ,lucern,grams,etc is called primary tympany
2) secondary tympany = If the tympany is due to =
a) Enlargement of mediastinal lymph nodes of T.B.
b) Choke of esophagus due to foreign body such as potato ,sweet potato,turnip,carrort,apple, and etc.
c) Due to Diaphragmatic hernia then it is called secondary tympany because in these cases tympany is not the main but is only a symptom
1. Distension of left side at the area of paralumber fossa ie. distension of left flank of the animal .
2. Drum beating sound from the left flank of the animal .
3. Laboured breathing by the animal
4. Profuse salivation in mouth if the animal
5. Subnormal temperature (hypothermia) .( not in impaction of rumen ) in animal
6. The rate of respiration is increase in animal
7. Milk production is decrese in animal
8.When the rumen is press there would be no sign of fingers in animal.
9. Death with in 30 to 40 minutes after collapse mostly due to interference in repiration and gross visceral distension due to pressure on them .
10. No longer grazzing by animal
11.Rapid breathing of animal mouth may be open with tongue protruding ,staggering
1= By symptoms – subnormal temrature of animal
2= By history of laguminous plant feeding to animal
3 = By postmortem exam of animal – congestion and haemorrage.
4.Drum beating sound from paralumbar fossa
From tetanus in animal = prolapse of third eye lid in animal is found .
TREATMENT (FIRST AID ) FOR ANIMAL =
1)T.T oil :30 -60ml+ mustard oil :500-1000ml(orally by drench or stomach tube is given to animal )
2) Tympany draught
T.T oil =30ml
ammonium carbonate = 10g
spt.ammonium aromaticus =30ml
mustard oil = 700ml
3) Formaldehyde :10ml + water: 1-2 liter orally to animal
4) Chloral hydrate: 15-20 gm + water : 500ml-1000ml is give to animal for orrally to decrease pain in animal
5) pulv ginger : 50gm – 100gm orally to animal
6) Tympol powder :100gm orally to animal
7)Tr.Asafoetida: 30ml-60ml orally to animal and pulv asafoetida : 1gm orally to animal
8) Blotasil: 100ml
9) Use of trocar and cannula for teratment of animal