Different types of bones:-
classification of bones = according to the naked eye appearance , with regard their size and the bones are classified into following categories.
:- Long bones
:- Modified long bones
:-Miniature long bones
:- Flat bones
:- Irregular bones
:- Visceral bones
1) LONG BONES = these are LONG ,HOLLOW ,CYLINDERICAL types of bones found in limbs and these are weight bearing bones and act as Lever long bone has a body shaft and Tu extended ends these have large medullary cavity called bone marrow, in which blood cells are produced for example :- femur and humerus.
2) modified long bones = some bones are long but they have no medullary cavity which are called modified long bones for example clavicle bone dogs rabbit fowl etc .
3) MINIATURE LONG BONES = these are long bones but small in size for example in metacarpal and metatarsal.
4) SHORT BONES = these are small pieces of bones with partially smooth surface present in joints and these bones help in the mobility of joints most of these bones have six surfaces.These are compose of spongy substance with a thin layer of cortical compact bone . for example :- carpal , larsal.
5) FLAT BONES = these are flat irregular Bony plates design for enclosing cavities which contains some vital organs of body. these bones are compose of two plates of compact bones in between these plates there lies a spongy bone . for example = scapula ,some cranial bone of skull.
6) IRREGULAR BONES = these are small bones with rough and irregular surface present in the midline of Skeleton.and these have so many projections. these projections help in attachment of various muscles. these bonds are compose of spongy substance with thin covering of compact substance for example :- vertebrae.