FASCIOLIASIS (LIVER FLUKE DISEASE)
DEFINATION = It is world wide distribution and mainly affects sheep and cattle .In sheep it causes three types of symptoms
this disease is spread by snail (Lymnaea)
ETIOLOGY = Is is caused by Fasciola hepatica and Fasiciola gingantica . these are trematodes .
Life cycle = The eggs of this parasite pass in tha faeces of animal and meracedium are developed from these eggs into 2 to 4 weeks under suitable temperature and moisture. the meracedium infect the snail known as lymnaea where they multiply and changed in cercariae these cercariae are transformed into metacercariae. these metacercariae stick to the leaves and plant and when the animal eat these plants the metacercariae enter in the body of the animal and young flukes travel to peritoneum and through the duodenum , they reach to liver and mature flukes are formed . they lay eggs which travel through the bile duct and comes in the faeces .
FASCIOLIASIS (LIVER FLUKE DISEASE) symptoms (in sheep) : it is of three types =
a) distended and painful abdomen.
b) anemia/sudden death
c) necropsy – atrophy liver, peritonitis
d) blockage of bile duct
2) Sub – Acute form =
a) more damage to liver
b) haemorrhage, anemia – death
c) mucous membrane – pale
3) Chronic form=
b) submandibular oedema
c) reduced milk production , less wool production
d) constipation and diarrhiea
SYMPTOMS (IN CATTLE )
1) chronic diarrhoea
2) less milk production
FASCIOLIASIS (LIVER FLUKE DISEASE) DIAGNOSIS =
1) By typical symptoms such as anemia, submandibular oedema and diarrhoea.
2) By faecal examinatiob – oval ,uperculated yellow / gloden colour eggs are seen under microscope exam .
3) Necropsy – liver damage (Atrophy of liver ) , fluke in liver and bile duct .
1) Carbonatetrachloride (CCL4) ( in sheep )
1 ml + 4 ml liquid paraffin
It must not be given in cattle because it
is toxic in cattle
2) cap. CCL4 (one caps per oral)
3) Avlo thane : 15-40g oral
4) Zenil(oxycloxanide) : 1 ml / kg bwt in
5) Distoden tablet : 1 tab. (100mg) oral
1 tablet (1g) oral cattle
1) Control of lymnaea
2) spray of cuso⁴ solution . in field 1.5 ppm
3) biological control : by keeping ducks in the
4) prompt treatment of sick animals.
5) avoid grazing of animals in the pastures having lymnaea and low lying areas.
6) use tractors or plough . the field in the pastures having snails and spray their Cuso4 @1.5 ppm in that field.