USE AND PROPERTIES OF STREPTOMYCIN
DEFINATION = It is an narror Spectrum antibiotics with work against diagram negative bacteria and especially against the Mycobacterium tuberculosis and it is also obtained from fungi . Genus of those fungus called streptomyces. this antibiotic can not affect or stop the growth of gram positive bacteria. mainly it work as bacteriostatics when it is given in normal dose to animal but in high dose it also acts as bacteriocidal.
PROPERTIES OF STREPTOMYCIN =
1) It is in the form of white powder.
2) It is soluble in organic solution .
3) Dihydrostreptomycin is more stable than streptomycin .
4) Its activities are bacteriostatics but when it is given in high dose it work as a bacteriocidal.
STABILITY OF STREPTOMYCIN =
1) It is more stable at 6-8 ph and preserve for many months.
2) Its solution is used with in the 6 days which is kept in refrigirator.
DOSE OF STREPTOMYCIN IN ANIMAL = 10 miligram per kilogram body weight of of animal . this antibiotic is given through the intra mascular route .
3) Minimum therapeutic blood level is 5 ug/ml of serum which is obtained in sixty to ninty minutes by intra – mascular administration in animal.
MECHANISM OF ACTION OF STREPTOMYCIN =
Streptomycin stops synthesis of those protein which is essential for the growth of bacteria due to which multiplication of bacteria stops .(Binding of 30’s’ ribosomal sub unit of bacteria )
FACTORS EFFECTING ANTIMICROBIAL ACTIVITIES OF STREPTOMYCIN =
1) Alkalizers should be given with streptomycin specially in urinary track infection.
2) It absorb fastly when it id given through intra mascular route .
3) It is less absorbed in lungs.
4) Less absorbed by intestine so can be given with sulphonamides in enteritis.
DISTRIBUTION OF STREPTOMYCIN =
1) It mainly stays in plasma .
2) It cannot cross blood brain barrier.
3) It go in foetal plasma and amnoitic fluid.
4) It is less found in red blood cells .